Shopping Cart Trick for Credit Cards [2019 Guide + Update]
The shopping cart trick, also known as the soft pull trick, is a clever method that allows people with bad credit to get a credit card. The shopping cart trick relies on the fact that many websites will pre-approve you for a credit card during the checkout process without actually checking your score. This means you can get a card without a “hard pull” (which damages your score) and also means you can still get a card with bad credit. This guide will show you step by step how to do the shopping cart trick so you can build your credit score and get back on the right path.
January 2019 UPDATE: Trick is still working! Changed around the list a bit to stay current.
Things to Know Before You Try the Shopping Cart Trick
- You must opt-in for credit card offers. If you have never submitted the form to opt out, you can probably skip this step. If you have ever received a promotion in the mail, chances are you are opted in which is perfect. Change your status to opt-in at this website: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/. This has to be done for the shopping cart trick to work.
- Turn off your popup blocker or anti-spam tool. The offers for credit cards will appear on your screen during the checkout screen, and if your popup blocker is off, you won’t be able to see the preapproval offer. You can always turn it back on after you get the cards you want.
- Don’t enter your full social security #. If the shopping cart trick works, you should only have to input the LAST 4 DIGITS of your social. If you have to enter the full social, it will result in a hard pull, and you may be denied the card. Just keep that in mind.
- Works with all credit. As far as I know, the shopping cart trick is the only method that allows you to get a credit card with any credit score. I’ve seen people with a 350 score get a credit card this way!
- Only works with Comenity Bank. You’d be surprised with how many stores use Comenity bank for their credit cards. You can find a list of comenity bank store credit cards below.
- Credit Cards are only one factor in obtaining a high credit score. If you have unfairly reported derogatory marks on your credit history (such as inaccurate late payments, collection accounts, bankruptcies, etc.), it’s probably worth it to use a third party company to work to get these unfair negatives removed. Doing so can help raise your credit score. I suggest Lexington Law due to their great track record of success.
Comenity Credit Card List 2018
The following stores have a comenity store credit card offer and have been tested to work with the shopping cart trick. To start, select a few off the list that you want, and save the websites for later. I always recommend only focusing on three sites at a time, and if they fail, moving on to three more.
Abercrombie & Fitch
Bath & Body Works
King Size Direct
New York & Company
One Stop Plus
Overstock (Be careful with your social on this one! Only enter last 4!)
How to Do the Shopping Cart Trick (Step by Step)
- Clear your browser history, cookies, and cache. You must do this before trying the shopping cart trick. If you’re using Chrome, you can open a new window in incognito mode to bypass this step. Just hold Ctrl+Shift+N to open a new window without cookies or history.
- Go to the site you want the credit card from and create a new account. Most of the time you can find the create account link at the top of the page. You want to enter your email address, phone number, and mailing address. Remember to use the same info you would find on your credit report. Confirm your email if you have to. Always make sure you subscribe to emails (sometimes they send you the preapproval letter via email!).
- Add a few items to your shopping cart. I’ve had the most luck putting around $100 in the cart with multiple items. You can always change it if you don’t get the offer right away. Try $100 first, then $50, then $150. Those are usually the best options to start with.
- Continue to checkout. Act as if you’re going to buy all the items. Go to the checkout page and type in all of your billing information. Give it a second and type slowly. Don’t use autofill to put in your info (for whatever reason this will stop the method from working). Don’t buy the items or click the final submit button.
- Wait for the comenity bank pre-approval popup. If you did this correctly, a popup like this one would appear offering you a credit card! If it asks you for the last four of your social, you know the shopping cart trick worked.
- Rinse and repeat. Grab as many cards as you like! If it doesn’t work right away, check your email in the next few days. You can also try multiple sites to build your overall credit line.
Best Shopping Cart Trick Stores
There are a few stores that work best with the shopping cart trick. Most people report that the Victoria’s Secret comenity credit cart gives a high chance of showing up, and I know the Express card popped up for me quickly as well. Buckle gives out a lot of cards through comenity bank as well so the shopping cart trick should work well for that one. Those are going to be the easiest comenity cards to get. Like I said before, pick three that you want and try them a few times. If they don’t show, make sure your popup blocker is off. When all else fails to work try three more until you get one!
Many people say that 100% approval credit cards don’t exist, but there are a few that do work. I had a score in the 400s until I found the Horizon Gold Card that preapproved me quickly and offered me a $500 credit limit. Before this card, I wasn’t able to get any card whatsoever. Of course, once I got this card and started building my credit, I was getting offers left and right!
Another option is the Luxe Signature Card. This card is another guaranteed approval that offers a $1500 limit! I suggest picking up the Horizon Gold card and this one as well. Using two cards at once can boost your score quickly.
Credit Score Tips
Getting cards with the shopping cart trick will boost your score a good deal, but if you want to reach your credit score goals, you’re going to have to follow a whole system. The truth is that credit cards can help your credit score, but there are other factors that heavily weigh into how that score is calculated. You’re going to have to attack your bad credit from all angles if you want to have significant results.
I created a free guide showing how I took my score from absolute trash (mid 400s) to where it is now (over 750). In fact, by using the methods laid out in the guide, most people can boost their credit score 100 points in 30 days!
To summarize, the shopping cart trick is a great way to get a credit card without actually having a hard pull on your report. It can also help someone with bad credit get approved for a card that they normally wouldn’t be able to get. Remember my tips! If you don’t get the popup, go to the next one. Try again at a later date if you have to. The truth is that this method works if you want to get a card but have bad credit, and I’m a living testament to that. Best of luck! Make sure to post your results in the comments and share any other tricks you might have with the soft pull method.